Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm a real housewife, but I am not getting paid


I am a sucker for Reality TV and right now I am completely hooked on Real Housewives of Orange County. But whereas I thought that the ladies in Atlanta were pure quality entertainment with their over the top cattiness and constant one-up-manship, the Socal women are just sad. My heart goes out to any woman who feels the need to undergo such extensive and rigorous beauty regimes every day, because if they don't look their best their men will, apparently rightfully so, be unfaithful.... and while the Atlanta-sister had each other by the throat because of an inevitable clash of monumental egos, in OC the bickering and bitchiness boils down to two sad common denominators: insecurity and jealousy.

In Thursdays episode, the women and their spouses gather round for an alcohol infused housewarming dinner at one of the housewives (who gets served with eviction papers the very next morning - don't tell me this isn't pure, gut-wrenching comedy!) and end up laying in to one of the women for one reason only: the fact that she holds down a full-time job and can't go along to the luncheons, tupperware parties and pilates classes that they keep inviting her to.
- I work, the owner of a successful insurance company says. I don't have time to take 12-2 off on a weekday to go to the gym.
- And we don't work? one of the other women lashes out.

Cut to the same woman talking to the camera:
- I take care of three children (she has two nannies), and also keep my husband in a very satisfied manner (she works out five days a week, has botox injections, manicures, massages, facials and throws the odd frozen pizza in the oven), if that's not work, I don't know what is.

Well, honey, I do agree that it must be very, very time consuming and exhausting for you, but if you ain't getting a paycheck at the end of the month, it's not work. Call it what every you like, but work it's not.
I feel for the true working gal, she's as big a b*** as the others, but she was undeservedly pounded on.

No comments:

Post a Comment