Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No one is Super-Mom, but we all try


I have made no secret of the fact that I feel very frustrated by this generation of over-protective, hyper-hands on uber-alpha mothers that we live amongst right now. The Hysterical Need To Do Everything And Then Some breed of mothers who raise over-protected and therefore spoilt little brats who have no idea how to function normally and interact socially with other people.

But here's the thing. Can you help but be nervously fretting that you will ruin your child every chance at a decent life if every one around us tells us the opposite? If we are being force-fed opinions left, right and centre (usually supported by "Experts") on how and where and what we are doing wrong every given second we are trying to everything right for our children?
We are irresponsible for taking them to the playground because it is a germ-filled and dangerous place. So instead we build a mini-Disney-land in our back-garden, because we know that children can't be without physical stimulation.
We would be scolded for leaving our children in day-care, yet we are told about the importance on social creatively simulating interaction, so we are being bad parents if we don't sign them up to at least three activities a day.
I could go on.

In my case, I actually found myself (and I would brand myself as a fairly chilled out person and my style of mothering to be the same) lie awake in bed one night fretting over the fact that I let my son go to sleep with a bottle of warm milk at night.
It is the only way he will sleep, and finding that out put a stop to months of agonizing bed-time routines (or rather, lack of) where it would take hours for him to settle. My husband figured it out. I was still very much in the "no-outside-stimulation-before-sleep" zone, but had to give in, finally.
- Why would you fight me on this one? he asked me as I in a last, exhausted attempt, tried to tell him that what he did was wrong.
- He's falling asleep, doesn't he? he asked. Within minutes. Why not just do this, and make it easy for us?

Because I knew what my pediatrician would tell me from now on, at every check-up we went to.
- You can't let him fall asleep with a bottle. You will ruin his teeth.

IE: What you are doing is bad, and you are inflicting pain and hurt on to your child and you will scar him for life and all this because you are a selfish, lazy parent who just can't do the right thing.

All because of peaceful bedtime.... Is it worth it?
So I lie awake in bed, thinking about what I am doing to my son as he, and the rest of the family lie nicely tucked in and sleep away in Wonderland. And all I wanted was to be a good mother, to do the right thing, but to also have some peace and quiet after a long, stressful and hectic day.

This is what we are doing right now. This is what society, and us, are doing to each other. If it's not teeth, it's something else. The lack of physical sports-activities which you are sure will harm your child although all he has never showed any interest what so ever in any sports, he'd rather play guitar. The times you have not read four books at bedtime, because you are exhausted, and now you think your daughters reading might suffer.
The times you have turned on SpongeBob Squarepants when really, it should be a strict diet of Baby Einstein although Baby Einstein doesn't seem to captivate them for very long, and you really need them out of your way because you need to cook, and fold clean clothes and make that phone-call, and-.

Is it any wonder that we are nervous wrecks? Is it any wonder that mother's will try and compensate for their lack of perfection in the areas that they feel that they are in control of???

And most importantly: as it is happening to all of us, us mothers should support each other, not point out where we might go wrong. It is hard enough as it is without the rest of society trying to brand us a irresponsible, thoughtless, selfish mothers, we don't need to tell each other that too.

4 comments:

  1. I was a stay-at-home mom for nine years and know what you mean. I truly think that, as long as what you do is well thought and intended to benefit your child (not you, not your reputation, not your image) it will work out.

    Lately, I am in contact with young adults who were home-schooled by parents who could NOT abide by the social ills their child would confront in public schools. The result is that these young people have no idea how to deal with temptation or bad behavior. It's all black and white...good or evil....no people skills at all. No ability to make a rational decision. In some cases, the moment they have freedom, they go effing NUTS because there's no one to control their behavior for them.

    There are people out there raising some crazy future adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beachcomber - it sound as if you deal with _really_ interesting but yet _very_ frustrating scenarios. How do you stay neautral and supportive?
    Would love to hear more,

    take care, and have a good weekend,

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    On the one hand, I might fit what some people would consider the "super-mom" stereotype - I'm an at-home, homeschooling mom and I greatly enjoy it. That's where the super mom profile ends. I let my kids watch TV, disney movies and spongebob. They eat sugar and junk food (which I am trying to reign in for the sake of their health). I let them go to the park on their own. I go to bed before they do sometimes and let them put themselves to bed. And I have ignored the advice of professionals and my kids have indeed survived (so far). I do not enroll my children in every possible extracurricular activity. I would much rather drop them off at someone's house to play so I can get a break than to make sure their play date is supervised.

    As far as the comment above about sheltered homeschoolers - Yes, it happens, but there are many, many homeschoolers who turn out to be well-adjusted, socially adept, contributing adult members of society. We homeschool our children for religious reasons and for what seems to be a lack of better options. But I do think I will do well to put my children in school at some point so they can learn to get along in the outside world and make good decisions while being guided by us.

    But I'm becoming the best mom I can be to MY OWN CHILDREN. And you are the best Mom you can be to your own children. I agree with you that we could do without a whole heck of a lot of directiveness from other parents and experts. We would all do well to respect each other's parenting decisions a little more.

    I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen - it sounds like you're doing a great job with your children, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience! In a way, the post shouldn't be called "no one is super-mum", it should be called "we are ALL super-mum's".

    Take care,
    angry mother

    ReplyDelete