Thursday, May 6, 2010

Oh my, oh dear


The sun is coming out and Kate needed shorts. I take her to Gap and tell her to pick out a bunch of shorts that she likes and then we can try them out to find her one or two pairs that fit.
She goes for denim, the skinny, knee-length one's with little sparkles and embroideries on. They are all very cute, and very cool. She's beaming on her way to the fitting-room.
- You're the best mummy! I love you so much! she says. You let me pick my own clothes instead of telling me what to wear.

I smile, but inside I'm shaking.
It won't be long before this changes. Very soon we will have blazing rows about her dress-sense. She will express herself through clothes more than now, in a more intense way, and I will only see negatives.
I treasure these moments for now.
Kate, you are always going to be my little girl, but soon there will come a day when you will hate me more than you can possibly imagine.

2 comments:

  1. She won't REALLY hate you; it will just feel that way. You will, however, embarrass her beyond believe and THAT is how you will survive the teenage girl years. I've had three girls and, while it doesn't really get easier, it becomes more tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear more about your experiences, I am dreading the teenages like hell, I have to say...but I guess my mother lived to tell the tale, so why should it be any different for me:)

    ReplyDelete