Friday, May 28, 2010

Things my husband and I argue about


Ever since I was a little kid I have had an issue with shouting. I don't like certain noises, and shouting gives me a headache. I particularly don't like shouting indoors, and to be even more specific, shouting from one room to another is up there with the best, we are talking migraine noise level capacity. It is not so much the volume, but the fact that it usually requires a response from me, who is in the other room, and I have to strain myself to get heard and that takes physical energy and boom! - there you go - bring on the headache.
It also implies that what you are doing isn't that important since if you don't want to shout back, you have to stop what you are doing and walk away from it in order to keep up the conversation. It is a disrespectful interruption when in reality, all the person needed to do is to walk over to you, like you would in any other civilized situation and talk to you in a normal voice.

This morning I was in the bathroom doing my beauty regime (one layer of mascara and a pimple squeeze) whilst talking to my husband when he suddenly leaves the room and disappears upstairs.
- Oh, and another thing! I hear him shout down the stairs.
- Uh huh.
No response. Of course - he's upstairs. But I am not leaving the mirror. The pimple needs covering up, he knows where I am. To talk to him I would have to walk out of the bathroom, through the bedroom and out in to the family room so that I can communicate up the stairs which feels like an unfair amount of interruption on my behalf since I only have two minutes to get myself presentable before I have to take off.
He shouts my name:
- Honey!?
- Yes! I shout back as loud as I can. Not annoyed, just to mark: I am down here - love of my life.

And there it is, the headache, in my head, and the sulky mood, coming towards me with in shape of my husband thundering downstairs.
- Well, forget about it, then. If you're gonna have an attitude about it, I'm not going to tell you.
He's saying this in a normal voice, speaking slowly and clearly, whilst standing outside the bathroom, to make sure I can really hear him.

No comments:

Post a Comment