Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Play ground pranks


There is a reason for why I avoid any human contact on a social level what so ever when I am planning on doing something with Leo. His third birth day creeping up closer and closer by the month, he still in the same old, boring phase as he was sometime around Christmas: he's a hitter, and I am the mommy in the playground that everyone secretly loves to hate.

Every time: all eyes on me!

Always curiously and unforgivingly watching me to see: how is she going to react today? Is she going to deal with it in a Perfect way today? Or will she break down, as she always does, and finally leave the playground with a screaming toddler under one arm?

Today was no different and after what felt like a lifetime, but was only fifteen minutes of constant observing, guarding, maneuvering and saving of other mother's kids before they get hit with a shovel in their face, I was exhausted and had to retreat to the bench to secretly eat some of Leo's snacks. I loose him out of my sight for a few seconds and suddenly I hear one of the other mothers:
- You know that Leo is being hit by another girl over there.
I look over.
There he is, on a play structure, trying to defend himself against an aggressive little fire cracker who keeps smacking him in the face.
I shrug my shoulders.
- It's OK. It's nice that he is one the receiving end for a change, I say and eat another piece of apple from the plastic Thomas The Tankengine lunch box.
The mother looks at me in shock horror.

So now they have yet another thing to add to their list of inappropriate parenting behaviour: I don't defend my son.

2 comments:

  1. One of my boyfriend's aunts is a pre-school teacher. She;s in her 70s and she has lots of experience. She says, in all seriousness, that white American parents have no common sense. I am sure other mothers don't think like you, but I am not sure they are right. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love it! One of my nieces got hit by her sister on my watch and I knew she probably deserved it. "No sympathy for the devil" Hunter S Thompson.

    ReplyDelete