Thursday, April 8, 2010

Conversations with Kate


Kate talked about some boys in her class today. She came to the conclusion that they were quite sensitive and over reactionary a lot of the time.
- If they don't win the game they are playing they say that the other person is cheating, and if that person says "no I didn't" - because they probably didn't - they will start crying. Or they get really angry.
- Who are these boys? I ask, and Kate give me some familiar names.
I can't help but plant a seed in her head.
- Isn't it funny, I say, that these are the same boys that are saying that boys are better than girls, and that girls can't do anything.
- Yeah. I guess so.
- Think about that the next time they tease you for getting an answer wrong. Think about who the real cry-baby is.

I know this is a gung-ho approach to Feminism 101 when it comes to your 8 year old daughter, but I need to grab every opportunity. It's a jungle out there, and sisters need to be doing it for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment