Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We need to stand by each other




It's yesterdays news- today's fish-and-chips wrap, but I am still mulling over the french justice minister and her baby. I want to applaud her and at the same time I am stunned. Mostly because I wonder if she can manage to up-hold her perfectly immaculate self so soon after the birth. Does she actually have time to do her hair and make-up in the morning before going in to the office or is it all breast-pumping, Abercrombie comfy's and steeling another five minutes of sleep? Personally, I had no use for any other clothes but my pyjamas for the first three months after my daughter's birth.

Having said that, I shouldn't even blog about this as I think it is important not to turn a woman's personal decision in to a public debate just because the woman in question happen to have espresso and croissants for breakfast with President Sarkozy (I'm sure it's not all just work, work, work even in French high office). I have read some very unfavorable comments - almost all of them made by women - about Ms Dati and her choice, but shouldn't women support each other in our decisions whatever they might be?

So women who wants to go back to work are bad mothers and mother's who don't end up raising Norman Bates but we tend to forget that those of us who do have a choice, whatever it might be, are very lucky, and those who don't, well, they need all the support they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment